Personal Advisers (PAs) may work with you from the age of 13 up to the age of 25 if you have learning difficulties and/or disabilities and need extra support. You will usually have an Education, Health, and Care Plan (EHCP), to be allocated a Connexions Personal Adviser.

PAs link with other people in schools, colleges, social services, training providers and other organisations to help make sure that you are supported correctly and aware of all of the options available to you. You may see them for a 1 to 1 meeting, in a group, or at a meeting such as your EHCP review. They can also be contacted by phone for advice on 01384 811400 or email

Young people’s needs are very different, so your PA will make sure that any plans made with you are individual – all about you. You may also hear this called ‘person centred planning’.

Connexions Dudley can give you information, advice, guidance and practical support to help you get ready for adult life. Sometimes this is a process known as ‘Transition’, or ‘Preparing for Adulthood’.

Are you the parent or carer of a young person with learning disabilities and difficulties?

If so, you should be aware of the SEND Reforms 2014. The Children and Families Act 2014 has changed the way in which children and young people with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) are supported at school and in the community. The Act was implemented in stages and the ‘Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 0-25 years – Statutory Guidance for Organisations that work with and support Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities’ sets out these reforms fully.

Dudley’s Education Heath and Care Plan (EHCP)

The content of the EHC Plan has been determined by legislation in Section 37 of the Children and Families Act 2014 and Regulation 12 of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2104.

Local Authorities are permitted to design and agree their plan locally provided it meets the statutory minimum requirements. Further explanation can be found in the SEND Code of Practice – 2015 in paragraph 9.62.

Version 9 is the current document dated January 2015.

Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

The Department for Education has published a general guide for parents on personalisation and personal budgets linked to Education, Health and Care Plans.

Making it Personal: A Family Guide to Personalisation, Personal Budgets and Education, Health and Care Plans (Link needs setting up)

Dudley’s Local Offer

Dudley’s Local Offer, is Dudley Council’s new one stop website for children and young people, from birth to 25 years of age, with special educational needs or disabilities and their families. Dudley’s Local Offer contains a wealth of up to date information on areas including education, training and work, health, leisure and fun, care and preparing for adulthood. The website aims to help children, young people, parents and carers to make informed, positive choices and decisions.

Young people, parents and carers have been involved in the development of the new website. They have reviewed content, driven the development and ensured that it is meeting people’s needs and is a great one stop shop.

Follow this link to visit the new website:

Dudley SENDIASS (formerly Dudley Parent Partnership Service) provides impartial information, advice and support to young people and parents, covering special educational needs (SEN), disability, health and social care

Helpline number: 01384 817373
Address: Saltwells Education Centre, Bowling Green Road Netherton, Dudley DY2 9LY

Dudley’s All Age Disability Service:

This will be in affect from April 2018 and incorporate social care service teams such as the Children’s Disability Team, the Transition team, and the Complex and Inclusion Team.

To contact the service, including discussing whether you or your child meets the criteria for social care support, please contact Tel: 01384 815813